When I first saw the following chart, I wondered whether it is really that challenging for these eight teams to get into the Rugby World Cup, currently playing in Japan:
Another visualization of the process conveys a similar message. Both of these are uploaded to Wikipedia.
What are some of the key messages one would want the dataviz to deliver?
- For the eight countries that got in (not automatically), track their paths to the World Cup. How many competitions did they have to play?
- For those countries that failed to qualify, track their paths to the point that they were stopped. How many competitions did they play?
- What is the structure of the qualification rounds? (These are organized regionally, in addition to certain playoffs across regions.)
- How many countries had a chance to win one of the eight spots?
- Within each competition, how many teams participated? Did the winner immediately qualify, or face yet another hurdle? Did the losers immediately disqualify, or were they offered another chance?
Here's my take on this chart: