Oct 29, 2009
Cluttered, and ineffective (from here)
Nice! Simple, sharp, fun even (from here)
- No data labels
- No dots, squares, triangles
- No legend, fun use of pictures
Could be even better:
- No line shadows (get rid of that new Excel default)
- Clean up the year labels, only one needed for each year
- Include the line for "other devices" since this chart is about market share, and we don't want to miss the trend for "others"
Reference: "Chart of the Day", Oct 28 2009, BusinessInsider.com; "Apple Soars Behind iPhone 3GS Momentum", October 27, 2009, InvestorPlace.com
Another improvement could focus on the audience that does not know what different phones look like. I wouldn't know what the phones were (except the iPhone) unless I had the first chart for reference.
Posted by: Jesse | Oct 29, 2009 at 10:23 PM
Not related to this post in particular, but couldn't find other means of bringing this to your attention...
A funny example of "Minard-like" graphs about movie narratives: http://xkcd.com/657/
Posted by: Tommi Himberg | Nov 02, 2009 at 06:39 AM
Tommi: you can submit ideas to my gmail account. The user name is the name of the blog.
Posted by: junkcharts | Nov 02, 2009 at 11:36 PM