How about this version?
What makes this version better?
- Having the Microsoft/Wintel area at the bottom means the boundary of the area traces its rise and fall
- Choosing a heavy color for Microsoft/Wintel draws attention to the main stage
- Focus numerical labels on the particular items that convey the story, i.e. the numbers highlighted at the top of the original chart in red
- Subtle and sparse gridlines tied to the key message
- Tilt labels to fit inside areas
- Place data labels inside chart next to the highlighted features
- Draw attention to the boundary of the Microsoft/Wintel area