"Tropical Storm Debby strengthened as it moved northwest yesterday. Of the 15 previous storms with positions similar [...], 13 became hurricanes, but only two reached the United States".
This data-laden statement accompanied the following weather map.
- no colors were used, and
- the two storms that landed had tracks bolded, and
- the 13 hurricanes had solid tracks, and
- all other tracks were drawn gray, and
- the then location of Debby was annotated, and
- only the two making landfall (Gloria 1985 and Storm 4 1938) were labelled, and
- the locations of landfall were crossed, and
- the large box was removed, revealing the land mass,
Then only the key data needed to support the accompanying statement would be present.
Reference: "Highlight: Tropical Storm Debby", New York Times (weather report), Aug 24 2006